Develop and maintain technical performance knowledge to execute orders / contracts received for standard and customized vacuum pump systems offered and sold by the North American Systems and Solutions business including the ownership and accountability of the entire Design Engineering process from beginning to end.
- Lead, own, and coordinate the design process for assigned projects. Manage/coordinate the Stage Gate reviews and document results.
- Develop and maintain ability to select and coordinate appropriate Atlas Copco / Edwards / Leybold products with guidance of Proposal Engineers to meet customer Design requirements.
- Work with Proposal and other Engineers to interpret vacuum systems sold and prepare applicable engineering and design documentation including final P&ID, general and detailed drawings and bills of material for the manufacture of Industrial Vacuum Systems.
- Review and interpret all technical specifications and incorporate all technical requirements as outlined in purchase order / contract.
- Drive results for successfully meeting or improving target quoted hours, target release dates, and project absorption hour percentages.
- Create 3D models, BOM‘s and applicable routings for design through and in conjunction with MRP/ERP software parameters.
- Responsible for completion of all appropriate calculations (stress, deflection, water and gas flow, etc) for the design whether performed in house or through external resources.
- Oversee maintenance of various drawing files and customer documents through MRP/ERP system, including owning and coordinating drawing/document submittals per schedules.
- Interface with Operations group to facilitate the manufacturing and assembly process and clarify design issues as required.
- Define material to be ordered and develop consistent bills of materials with focus on meeting both delivery and cost targets through product commonality and other means.
- Interface with Supply Chain and, as required, with vendors to answer technical questions to facilitate the purchasing process.
- Interface with QA/QC department to define and coordinate all aspects of quality assurance and control, including ITPs.
- Interface with Project Manager to coordinate and communicate overall progress of project and any relevant issues that may surface during the execution of the project.
- Ensure that knowledge and understanding of customer design requirements and specific issues is communicated to all relevant parties.
- Interface with internal and external assemblers to ensure safety and cost-effective quality in the manufacturing and assembly process.
- Troubleshoot and implement required changes to resolve manufacturing and field problems to improve product performance and reliability.
- Continually seek process, design, and communications improvements to ensure the highest quality while meeting targets – delivery and price.
- A minimum of an Engineering Degree (MET or similar) or relevant experience is required
- A minimum of 5 years of directly related experience is required with a preference for mechanical engineering, engineering management and vacuum technology background
- Proven professional experience in project coordination or project management in relation to ownership and accountability of processes and team members.
- 3D modeling experience required and strong Pro-E/Creo proficiency is desired
- Skills required include mechanical aptitude and the ability to read electrical schematics and motor controls knowledge
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required
- SAP experience strongly desired with working professional knowledge for applicable T-Code sessions and standard process flow
- Skill in the use of other CAD platforms is desired
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Office is desired
- Electrical or motor control experience or knowledge preferred
- Vacuum technology experience or knowledge preferred
Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/D/V
About Leybold & Atlas Copco
employs people on four continents. Many of them have a scientific or technical focus. Their knowledge, creativity and experience are essential for our success.
The demands of the high-tech industry and the cultural diversity in our globally active company also contributes to an attractive and stimulating working environment at Leybold. Technical knowledge is important to us, as are personal soft skills and the willingness to work in international project teams.
Leybold is part of the Vacuum Technique Business area of the Atlas Copco Group. The Group's sustainable approach also determines our visions and values. A wide range of training and further education programs are available, to enhance technical know-how and systematically expand skills. Because only great ideas accelerate innovation.