The Industrial Vacuum Innovation Team (IVIT) Development Test Engineer will typically be involved in the qualification testing of new product prototypes, and existing machines under guidance of Technical Manager, Tech Lead, Project Leader or a Senior Engineer. Responsibilities involve experiment design, prototype machine construction, test hardware, software and instrumentation assembly, execution of testing/validation tasks and interpretation of results to form test reports with conclusions on performance, reliability and safety of products. The Test Engineer will also be responsible for improving general IVIT test capabilities and driving best practice in the laboratory. The Test Engineer will give input into the design of prototypes through their own engineering knowledge.
- Acting as a member of the divisional IVIT team working on the testing of new or existing products.
- Attend project team meetings (PTM’s) as required by the project leader.
- Prepare & execute testing plans with support from lab technician(s) and in close co-operation with the project development engineer and/or project leader.
- Write conclusive validation technical reports according to the customer’s (project leader, marketing, service,) expectation.
- To support implementation of ideas and initiatives, contribute to the design and development of sub systems and pumps.
- Responsible for defined aspects of product demonstration of fitness for purpose and product safety readiness.
- To undertake defined aspects of the verification and validation test programme, legislative and reliability testing.
- To use risk management tools such as FMEA to minimize potential failure modes.
- To reduce time to market by precision of task delivery.
- To efficiently support the customer (your own R&D team or other departments like marketing, operations, service,) with questions and issues related to testing of existing products.
- To provide supervision to lab technicians and advise and support them with the executing of their tasks.
- Developing new ideas and solutions to improve R&D lab practices and procedures.
- To manage IVIT lab equipment.
- Ensure all areas under their direct control are conducted in a safe and effective manner in compliance with the company's Health and Safety policy.
- Live and promote the 16 Atlas Copco behaviors.
- Develop and support a spirit of open communication, fairness, non-discrimination and respect for the individuals within your own team and towards your colleagues and superiors.
- Within the areas of your responsibility oversee compliance of laws and regulations, the Atlas Copco Business Code of Practice, the Atlas Copco “The way we do things”.
What we expect of you
- Experience in product validation testing and prototyping within manufacturing industry, ideally relating to rotating machinery or engine or pump manufacture.
- Exposure to vacuum pumps and vacuum technology is an advantage.
- Knowledge of validation testing processes and technologies.
- Knowledge and experience of modifying equipment for test instrumentation.
- Knowledge of measurement instrumentation, gauges, transducers and data-logging.
- Theoretical and practical understanding of electrical devices particularly electric motors, inverters, 3-phase, single-phase and low voltage devices.
- Practical experience of experimental techniques, FMEA’s, reliability testing, the process of product design and the introduction of new products to production.
- Good experience and usage level of the key MS office packages, e.g MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Self-management of tasks and their delivery.
- Grasp of technical matters with evidence of speed, accuracy, innovation and quality of work.
- Accuracy in data collection, results gathering and interpretation.
- Good communication skills, including communication with remote global teams whose first language is not English. Communication over Skype/MS Teams
- The ability to carry out tasks correctly, to agreed timescales and quality standards without supervision.
- The capability to correctly diagnose and successfully resolve technical problems.
- Open flexible mindset with ablity to adjust to changing task requirements.
Fluency in English – other languages an advantage (particularly Chinese Mandarin).
HND, Bachelor or Master degree level in a relevant engineering science discipline, with preference to Electro-Mechanical Engineering or equal by proven experience.
What you can expect from us
Opportunity to work at the front end of innovation technology on new product prototypes, in a global engineering environment.
Fair renumeration package including variable compensation scheme (Bonus).
Full support from the team and management of the Division.
Training and development within the role, and a longer-term opportunity for career development and progression within the Division and the wider AC group.
Possibilities for travel, including assignments overseas.
Start a journey of endless opportunities
At Atlas Copco we believe in challenging the status quo, always looking for a better way. Our leading-edge technology and great ideas enable us to innovate for the future.
We believe that passionate people make it happen. You are a brand ambassador and our face towards our customers. With us you drive your own professional journey and you are empowered to act.
We offer a wide range of interesting job roles and many opportunities to grow. This is where it begins – Join us at the Home of Industrial Ideas.