The Systems Business, Americas along with the North American Edwards CC have identified the process industry, most specifically the petrochemical, chemical, pharma, power and oil and gas verticals as an area of significant growth potential. Numerous initiatives have been undertaken to grow this segment, including the introduction of new dry pumps as well as the re-launch of the LR product line.
The target customer for these industries will be end users, and to a large extent, engineering procurement and construction (EPC) contractors. EPC customers require a significant degree of technical support during the many stages of an opportunity, including preliminary FEED inquiries, budget proposals and final technical and commercial negotiations. These activities involve the review, interpretation and evaluation of the numerous specifications for the core vacuum pumps as well all ancillary equipment including motors, heat transfer devices, code vessels, instrumentation, valves and controls. If the equipment under consideration is liquid ring technology, the selection of the appropriate pump requires considerable experience in sizing the unit as well as all critical components that directly affect its performance. Furthermore, an intimate knowledge of industry and local regulatory requirements (explicit as well as implicit) are required to satisfy customer expectations and mitigate any potential risks and liabilities to the business.
The job holder will be integral to the Systems Engineering and Applications support activities in the Americas for the Process Industry – specifically around LRP & Dry Pump systems. In this role you will be part of the Systems Applications & Proposals team - Americas.
- Preparation of accurate detailed technical and commercial proposals by interpreting clients requirements as described in enquiry requisition and project specifications, sizing the required equipment by undertaking process, thermal and mechanical designs, commenting on client’s commercial and technical specifications with deviations being listed and comments made as appropriate, completing preliminary production schedules, data sheets, typical procedures and other bid documents and supporting the preparation of tender drawings as appropriate.
- To assist in the maintenance of an accurate and extensive cost data base
- Preparation of cost estimates sheets to define required scope and participating extensively in the cost estimation process to a level of accuracy such that exposure to overspend on contracts is minimised and developing selling price strategy to ensure that contacts are secured such that profit margins are maximised.
- Estimating realistic but challenging product lead times
- Liaising with commercial risk manager and business manager to obtain and develop commentary on customer terms and conditions.
- Assisting the business manager and sales manager in the preparation of sales forecasts and budgeting
- Responding accurately and promptly to clients technical and commercial queries after submission of proposals.
- Attending bid clarification meetings for detailed discussions with client discipline engineers and commercial staff and negotiation of final contract details including price, lead times, extent of liquidated damages and warranties together with other commercial details during or after such meetings.
- Providing extensive and effective mentoring of project engineers on liquid ring and dry pump applications and providing them with supporting materials.
- Lead all efforts required for a seamless and timely hand-off of secured contracts to the order execution group and project managers.
- To provide adequate and timely support for any field work and on-site activities such as start-up of the equipment, commissioning and troubleshooting when required.
- To undertake ad-hoc project work as required.
Skills / Knowledge / Experience
- B.S. degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, Masters is desired.
- Result-oriented and experienced professional (5-10 years) with proven senior experience in rotating equipment industry, more specifically within the process industry (petrochemical, chemical, power, O&G)
- Experience with liquid ring (LR) technology and ability to size and select LR pumps and compressors for various applications within the above industries.
- Experience with dry vacuum pump technology highly desired.
- Extensive experience working with EPC’s in both the quotation / proposal generation as well as project execution phases for complex systems involving multiple components such motors, drives, heat transfer technology, vessels, instrumentation and controls.
- Ability to review and interpret complex EPC and end user specifications as well as lead all efforts within the organization and with major suppliers in order to offer technically advantageous solutions at a competitive price and within acceptable lead times.
- Related commercial and/or business development experience advantageous
- Strong technical competency in rotating equipment and various applications within the process industry
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Knowledge in SAP advantageous
- Excellent command of English in both writing and speaking, other languages advantageous
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with the management and employees at all levels. Must possess strong communication capabilities and the ability to empower the members within the team.
- Effective communication skills and ability to interact with people
- Strong organizational skills and strong attention to detail, capable of managing multiple tasks and deadlines
- Strong focus on quality, accuracy, deadlines and orderly work.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from divisional management, the local teams and customers
- Clear decision making
- Act and think strategically
- Empower for initiatives, take ownership and raise red flags in case needed
- Up to 50% travel or occasional overseas travel
What you can expect:
- Excellent working conditions & benefits
- Part of the Atlas Copco Group with a wide-reaching internal job market
- You can grow with us: we always look for internal candidates before checking the market and have training and development programs
- We have a friendly, family-like atmosphere – and that is not just a claim on the wall, it’s a true fact
- You can be creative and promote your own ideas
- Every day brings new challenges and new things to learn
Edwards & Atlas Copco employs people on four continents. Many of them have a scientific or technical focus. Their knowledge, creativity and experience are essential for our success.
The demands of the high-tech industry and the cultural diversity in our globally active company also contributes to an attractive and stimulating working environment at Leybold. Technical knowledge is important to us, as are personal soft skills and the willingness to work in international project teams.
The company's are part of the Vacuum Technique Business area of the Atlas Copco Group. The Group's sustainable approach also determines our visions and values. A wide range of training and further education programs are available, to enhance technical know-how and systematically expand skills. Because only great ideas accelerate innovation.