JOB TITLE: Business Process Specialist – Procurement & Quality
REPORTS TO: Director BPI Americas / Global Process Owner Procurement
This is a position in the Atlas Copco Vacuum Technique (VT) Business Area in the VTIS (VT Information Systems) department. The role is part of SAP Process Team, working with SAP Global Process Owners, Project Workstream Leads and local Subject Matter Experts (SME’s) within VT Product Companies. The role also supports the deployment of the VTSAP Template to all VT Product Companies (PC) and Customer Centres (CC) and also the integration of PC/CC Business operations for any VT acquisitions.
2. Purpose of the job
The Business Process Specialist role covers 2 broad areas: business process improvement based around the “VTSAP” template (SAP based ERP system support VT Business Area) and deployment of VTSAP to VT Companies including ERP integration of VT acquisitions.
A Business Process Specialist supports and manages change through the facilitation of business process improvement activities based on the SAP template. They work collaboratively across functions to help improve the management of a business process. They focus on the entire process from beginning to end, introducing innovation into the process that will impact results, enhance profitability, and assist the organization to consistently meet its business objectives and goals.
The individual will demonstrate strong conceptual and analytical skills and the ability to develop solutions to complex issues whilst always striving to simplify and eliminate non-value adding activities. The role requires the tenacity to manage change in the face of adversity and absolute focus on doing what is right for the customer, adhering to agreed budgets and timescales.
A Business Process Specialist supports the deployment of the VTSAP Template to all VT Product Companies and the integration of PC Business operations for VT acquisitions. They provide expertise in both SAP systems/processes and Procurement / Quality Management business processes and work closely with local business Subject Matter Experts (SME’s) and key stakeholders.
For SAP deployment projects the Business Process Specialist role facilitates understanding of current “As Is” business processes & systems, local business requirements and the determination of gaps between these and the VTSAP template capabilities. The Business Process Specialist works with the Global Process Owners and local SME’s to define solution options, assess cross functional and business impacts and define a SAP solutions to address the gaps identified.
The Business Process Specialist then enables the delivery of this solution including specification of development requirements, testing and User Acceptance of the SAP technical solution. Where the solution is based on business process changes the Business Process Specialist facilitates identification and management of change impacts from deployment of the SAP solution.
A Business Process Specialist supports knowledge transfer to local key users / subject matters experts as part of the deployment process. They also support the community of Local Key Users with ongoing knowledge transfer and develop a flow of communication/problem solving and process improvement ideas.
Being part of a process team of process owners, analysts and specialists to deliver SAP deployment, the candidate needs to be comfortable in the dynamic atmosphere of a global team.
3. Required Competencies:
Competency Frequency Importance
Frequently Often Sometimes Critical Important Nice to Have
Customer Focus X X
Leadership X X
Self-Management X X
Planning and Execution X X
Professionalism X X
Innovation & Solution X X
Communication X X
Interaction X X
Atlas Copco Way X X
A Business Process Specialist must have a vision of the big picture. They know that enhancing process effectiveness is not a one-time endeavour, and that meaningful change requires continuous improvement.
A Business Process Specialist requires the vision to focus on the entire process from beginning to end, and not just smaller parts of it. This holistic approach to process innovation also requires understanding how changing one step in the process can impact other process activities.
A Business Process Specialist must be an effective change agent. Changing business processes involves more than just rearranging the steps on a flow chart, it also requires the ability to change the hearts and minds of employees affected by the change.
A Business Process Specialist must engage employees and empower them to provide input into process change and embrace and support the new process once it is implemented.
The role requires the tenacity to manage change in the face of adversity and focus on doing what is right for the customer, adhering to agreed project budgets and timescales
The job requires a mind-set of making themselves the local “go to” person for process and SAP systems advice and helping the wider VTIS team to support business process understanding and knowledge transfer.
4. Broad Activities
• Identify areas for improvement and facilitate business process improvement
• Drive change and manage both small developments and projects using VTPM (Vacuum Technique Project Management) and acting as an interface between central VTIS team and Local Key Users teams.
• Drive deployment supporting local implementation managers and act as change agent for global initiatives
• Lead / Support Procurement & Quality Management workstream activities for cross functional SAP deployment projects
• Become the de facto subject matter expert in a range of business processes relating to data migration and testing
• Work with local key users and other stakeholders to understand and document the “As-Is” business processes and systems
• Establish the core business requirements for the “To Be” systems/processes and identify improvement opportunities via process analysis and collaboration with local business SME’s
• Work with VTIS SAP Functional Team Leads / Process Owners to understand VT SAP Template
• Support Knowledge Transfer of SAP Template to local Business SME’s
• Support identification of solution Gaps between business requirements and VT SAP template
• Collaborate with the SAP Functional Team Leads / Process Owners to identify options for any gaps and assessment/selection of the appropriate solution
• Support Integration& User Acceptance Testing Activities with local co-ordination of business SME’s
• Support Change Management activities – Identify Change Impacts and contribute to plans for stakeholder engagement, communications and training
• Support development of training materials and process documentation
• Support data selection, conversion & cleaning activities liaising between local business SME’s and Data Workstream Lead
• Support Cutover/Go Live activities and provide first line local support during Post Go Live “Hypercare” Support phase
• Work closely with the business at all levels and contribute to business forums as an informed process expert where appropriate.
• Stay abreast of technological developments and world-class practice.
The individual should demonstrate strong conceptual and analytical skills to develop solutions to complex issues while always striving to simplify and eliminate non-value adding activities.
• Advanced analytical and problem-solving abilities, methodical and logical mind-set
• Advanced planning, organizational, and time management skills.
• Advanced collaboration and influencing skills with cultural sensitivity
• Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, especially when working with users with English as a second language.
• Advanced knowledge of processes within manufacturing environment
• Expert user level experience of SAP ECC ERP systems.
• Ability to identify gaps and inefficiencies and to recommend innovative, workable and cost-effective solutions.
• Ability to understand the business requirements and convert them into solution designs.
• Ability to work closely with technical delivery teams to design pragmatic solutions to business problems
• Excellent in English, additional languages are an advantage.
• Confident at presenting to an audience, across all levels of the organisation.
• Expert Level Experience in the use of MS Office.
• Project management experience, Agile and Waterfall ideal.
• A self-starter, able to work independently, yet also collaborate as part of an international team
6. External Contacts:
Operate professionally with external suppliers and contractors, typically Software Implementation Partners or Specialists, protecting Atlas Copco VT interests whilst developing a collaborative approach.
7. Internal Partners:
Work very closely with SAP Functional Team Leads, local SMEs in VT Business Entities or Acquisition organisations regionally and with business Process Managers/Owners, or heads of functions within divisions.
• Minimum 5 years in a Business environment/Procurement/Quality Management role
• Experienced User of SAP Systems specifically in the following modules: MM-Materials Management, QM – Quality Management
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in SAP/ERP Business Analyst role in a similar industry.
• Solid knowledge of business processes and their integration with SAP systems
• Business Process Improvement experience
• Experience of SAP Deployment Projects
• Previous experience of training or presentation preferred
• Educated to degree level or equivalent
• SAP Certification an advantage
• Project management, Training certification, and SAP functional training an advantage
10. Job Location Options:
The role is based in the USA, the favoured location is Chelmsford/Haverhill, MA , alternative location is Sanborn/Niagara Falls, NY. There is an expectation of regular travel for periods during key project phases, these are typically up to 1-2 weeks duration.
Passionate people create exceptional things
At Atlas Copco we believe in challenging the status quo, always looking for a better way. Our leading-edge technology enables us to innovate for a sustainable future.
We believe that people make it happen and with us you are empowered to act. Your ideas can make a real difference and contribute to the quality of life for people everywhere.
We offer a wide range of interesting job roles and many opportunities to grow. This is where it begins – Join us at the Home of Industrial Ideas.